16. apr 2008

Perverse Gospel Zine

Loits
„Must Album“
Review: Cruciatus
Perverse Gospel Zine

Loits, if any of you do not know, is the herald of Estonian metal, with
the colour of the banner being black and the status quo driven to militant. And no,
this isn’t any typical central / eastern European folk black metal but harshly
rocking music with very personal growling vocals, twisted guitar melodies and flak gun
like heavy drumming. There are also some keyboards for Estonian native feel... and in
this case, the use of those doesn?t bother me at all, or to be honest, they quite
surprised me during the first listen, but alas, they did embed themselves
very nicely straight on the second time leafing through „Must Album“.

And when put to the Loits discography, I must say that „Must Album“ may
not climb all the way to the top, as the previous albums by this Estonian band made
such a strong impression on me that this album would’ve demanded a few more
classic tracks to be as fierce as „Vere Kutse Kohustab“ or „Ei Kahetse Midagi“. However,
the song „Suudelda Neidu“ is singlehandedly the best track by this band this far,
with very obscure combinations in the guitar work and keyboard effects, without
forgetting the lyrics, that for the better have now been translated into English as well.

Still, there’s something missing compared to the times I listened the
Previous albums. On both past CDs, the impact was just greater than on „Must
Album“, but with this comtemplation I started to doubt that I merely start to know my Loits and can concentrate on digging the stuff in the stead of just sitting with my
mouth open listening to the new feel an album can bring. So take your conclusions
where you wish, the result is that I find myself listening to this over and over again,
without bore.

Loits still manages to stand its ground as one of the more innovative and
Fresh bands in the scene 2007. On top of this unyielding battle attitude, the
Packaging and graphics are both top-notch, especially if you get your hands on the
boxed set with the cards and the likes... One of the most decent releases visually
in the past years! 8+